Monday 22 January 2007

Germany so far!

I have now been in Germany for a few days. So far I have settled in very well and feel quite comfortable here. Health wise it has been a mixed bag. My energy levels have been fine, I could possibly even be described as sprightly, but my digestion has not been so good. I have been troubled by continuous trapped wind since Saturday evening. Originally, this was causing quite a lot of pain in my chest, which always worries me. However, the pain has moved further down towards the bottom of the ribcage, which while not pleasant, causes me far less concern. I think that part of the problem with suffering from CFS is that because of the way it is diagnosed i.e. by eliminating other symptoms, I am always frightful that there is something else, something more serious, lurking in the background. Due to the range of symptoms that I have suffered, my confidence in my body is non-existent and the least little symptom soon becomes a terminal illness. For example, chestpains must be a problem with my heart, swollen gland in my throat or infection in my testicle must be cancer etc. With hindsight, after the problem has disappeared, these thoughts seem ridiculous, but it is something that has seeped its way into my character since I became ill.

My goals for this week are:

1) to settle in completely in Germany
2) attempt not to worry about this trapped wind and try to treat the problem naturally by controlling my diet and eating easy to digest foods.
3) to complete and submit a paper to Sigir2007

We will see how I get on with these.

No comments: