Friday 23 February 2007

Getting enough veggies

One problem that I have found with this new diet is getting enough vegetables into my daily intake. I never used to have problems with this because I ate lots of fruit and drank fruit juice. However these are all no nos now. Yesterday I resorted to steaming myself an extra portion of veggies before dinner to satisfy the need. I have also thought about nibbling raw carrots or peppers, but these may be difficult to digest.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can sneak more veggies into my diet? All thoughts appreciated!

Yesterday's diet was the following:

breakfast: porridge (no sugar or fruit, but plenty of milk)
lunch: rye crackers with smoked salmon and ham
snacks: cashew and brasil nuts and a portion of steamed veggies
dinner:salmon pasta, cooked in onion, garlic and cream with spinach

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your question, yes I have found that the changes I have made to my diet have helped enormously. Previously I was getting stomach upsets really often (about once a month) and also just having that uncomfortable bloated feeling all the time. Since cutting out the wheat, dairy and yeast my stomach has been back to normal – I just don’t notice it all the time. For me the dairy is now something I avoid altogether, wheat and yeast I will eat in tiny quantities occasionally. I would be interested to know how your diet pans out!

David Elsweiler said...

Hi Sarah,

It seems strange that changing your diet helps you if indeed the problem is nickel poisoning. Perhaps you had multiple causes for the symptoms rather than a single cause or perhaps you only developed food intolerances after your symptoms started. I doubt you will ever find out.

I know it is a frustrating game to play!

I look forward to reading your blog and to learning more about how you cope with CFS, what helps you and how long it takes for you to get your life back. From most of the people I have spoken to and read about, I think that when there is improvement, as seems to be in your case, there is a very high chance of recovery. Good luck with it!

Dave